How Could I Say No?

“Dad, it is December 1st. Why don’t we have Christmas lights on our house yet? Aren’t you gonna decorate the house with lights for us this year”? asked my youngest daughter Addy.
I couldn’t possible say no. Not this year – not after a string of 16 consecutive years of lighting our house for Christmas. Truth be told, I do not look forward to this process. It’s just that I’m not real good at it – not a huge fan of hanging over our two story roof to clip together the continuous strand of sometimes blinking colorful lights.

When God was handing out the “handy” genes, I must have been distracted – I got none, zero, zip. But I want to be handy. I want to be Mr. Fix It. I even have some tools (and a very funny wife who gave me a tool belt a few Christmas’ ago).

So this past weekend was one of those weekends where we weren’t pulled in 1000 directions. I could devote Saturday and Sunday afternoon to “Operation Decorate the Outside of the House Without Falling Off The Roof”. My girls were gone Sunday afternoon and I purposed was to finish the lights and have them glowing bright when they got home Sunday night. My Addy even called me from her friend’s house around 5 pm and asked “Dad, will the lights be finished and on when I get home tonight”. How could I let her down?

Every year God uses this tedious process to remind me of a life truth. We all love to operate within our giftings. It’s easy. It’s fun. It juices us when we do what we love to do. I believe with all of my heart that 80% of the time we should be operating within our giftings. God needs the Body of Christ to operate at peek maximum efficiency. But what about the other 20% of the time? What is it that you MUST do that de-juices you (new word). Could it be that your 20% is not for you but to bless someone else? Decorating our home for Christmas is work for me but brings such joy to my family.

Selfishness can sneak into our motivations when tempted to only opereate within our giftings. Beat it back. The joy it may bring to others is worth it all.

p1010180.jpg

 

Advertisements

7 responses to this post.

  1. Great job man! Though we get de-juiced (great word), he will re-energize us. You are a great Dad to these girls, my friend!

  2. Oh how I miss the palm trees and Christmas lights!!!

  3. Posted by suz on December 5, 2006 at 10:17 AM

    handy gene or not, you are still my hero…. i love you!

  4. Great message, thank you! And the picture was awesome, I am so ready to return to the warm christmas’s of the south. This snow thing is for the birds!

  5. Posted by Bailey on December 5, 2006 at 1:05 PM

    Thats awesome!!!!!!! Your the BEST!!

    Your daaughter ,
    Bailey

  6. Posted by ruth salazar on December 6, 2006 at 9:53 AM

    That picture says it all!!! You guys don’t need snow to make the season bright!!!

  7. Nice, bro…I did the same the past couple of weekends. As I told my staff…if I walk in the office on crutches, you KNOW I took a stumble while stringing up lights…great pic.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: