An Energy Collapse…

line-3-12-02-ah

There will come a point for all of us when we experience an all-consuming, emotionally traumatic life event.

As I type this, I’m in one now.

Being an old Sociology Major, I continue to be intrigued with the human response to various stimuli…even my own. If you struggle like I do with control, traumatic life events trump our perceived jurisdiction.  That can leave us suddenly untethered from the certainties we believe anchor us to our reality.

Forgive me that I can not cite the following, not knowing the author, but it explains perfectly what is going on within my heart now, and maybe yours too:

“Ideally, the amount of energy you expend each day is equally balanced across the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of your life. But during and after an emotional upheaval, your energy distribution is much different. As much as 85 percent of your energy can be diverted to dealing with the trauma, leaving only 15 percent to deal with all your physical, mental, and spiritual demands.

“Emotionally you’re spinning,” says Dr. Jim A. Talley. “You are going round and round. It’s like you are running your engine wide open, but you’re in neutral and not going anywhere, yet you can’t shut the motor off. Eighty-five percent of your energy is being consumed in the whole emotional area. That leaves you 5 percent mental, 5 percent spiritual, and 5 percent physical. Mental difficulties include the inability to make decisions. Physically, you are totally exhausted. Spiritually, you begin to struggle through your faith.”

The emotional turmoil, the mental fog, the total loss of energy, and the faith struggles are to be expected. You don’t desire any of it, but you have it, and your feelings and thoughts are natural.

“I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes. Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer” (Psalm 6:6-9).

God, your boy is wiped out.  Help me to acknowledge that my feelings are completely normal, and please give me the energy to turn to You for help.  Amen….

Advertisements

10 responses to this post.

  1. I recently experienced this, too….and wrote about it. Hope it helps you as your words help me. Blessings, Roy
    http://womenintheword.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/nancy-unplugged/

  2. Dude! I’ll be praying for you. Love you man!

  3. Posted by David on November 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM

    ” Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another” John 13:34
    I know God put you in my life for a reason and I am so thankful for that each and every day. He knew I would love you and NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will ever change the love I have for you. Wiped out, oh yeah I have been wiped out and then some. I have had emotional bleeding that I was unable to stop along with incredible depression and life stopping anger. I cried out to God for help and he began to put people in my life like you to attend to the deepest of my wounds. I could not do this alone even though I tried. I am here and will always be here for you, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week…other then that I am busy.

  4. thanks David. I love you bro….more than you may know.

  5. thanks Donny. prayers from Big Blue are goooood prayers….

  6. wow – so very well said Nancy. thank you so much for sharing….

  7. Posted by Mom on November 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM

    I’m hurting for you my son. Your mom is right beside you. Wish I could take away the pain.

  8. thank you mom. nothing feels as good as the love of your mom….nothing. i love you.

  9. Posted by mattmaldo on November 12, 2009 at 12:49 AM

    Praying for you man well written and i to am going through hurt glad your in my life 🙂 I love you brother! Yo0u and David G both have been great fathers too me! Thank you guys!

    All my love

  10. Posted by Russ on November 17, 2009 at 2:35 PM

    Wow well written. I am here for ya roy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: